UPDATE 1:00 A.M.
The National Weather has cancelled the Tornado Watch for the region.
UPDATE 9:15 P.M.
The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Watch for the region including Missouri City until 4 a.m.
The National Weather Service is predicting a line of severe thunderstorms across the south east Texas later tonight. Damaging winds, tornadoes and hails are expected in parts of the region including Missouri City.
Residents are encouraged to sign up for emergency alerts on www.MissouriCityReady.com and Twitter—@MissouriCityEM. The storm is anticipated to pass through the region between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Emergency management officials also advices citizens to have multiple ways to receive alerts and to ensure that those will wake you up if needed.
Additionally, citizens are urged to keep the streets clear of trash cans, vehicles or any loose debris to allow safe passage for our Public Safety and Public Works vehicles and to keep the drainage system clean and to protect your property. Also, avoid traveling through flooded areas, and remember: Turn Around, Don’t Drown.
City staff is closely monitoring all roadway conditions. If there are areas of concern in your community, please call 281.403.8700. Officials also stress the importance of keeping a list of informational resources for reference. Recommendations for City residents include:
- Police and Fire Departments: 911 or 281.403.8700
- CenterPoint Energy: 713.207.2222
- American Red Cross – Fort Bend County Branch: 281.342.9480, Greater Houston Branch: 713.526.8300
- Ready Harris (readyharris.org); 713.881.3100; the Harris County Office of Emergency Management’s official website.
- Enable Fort Bend (enablefortbend.com); 281.238.3514; the agency assists individuals with functional and medical needs during an emergency or disaster.
- MCTV: Comcast Ch. 16; AT&T U-verse Ch. 99
- WQMN – 1690 AM: Emergency advisory radio station
- MCTX Mobile App: Download it in the Apple App store or on Google Play
For updates, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T U-verse) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple App store).