The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for the region including Missouri City from noon to 7 p.m. today, Tuesday, June 9. Temperatures could reach the upper 90s with heat index values between 105 and 110 degrees.
MCTX Emergency Management Officials advise residents to Stay Cool and Stay Hydrated during these summer months, and to continue to Stay Informed during the 2020 Hurricane Season which began June 1 and runs through November 30.
Humidity along with these high temperatures may cause heat related illnesses. Officials urge everyone to stay cool and hydrated by:
- Wearing sunscreen and appropriate clothing that are lightweight, light-colored and loose- fitting.
- Staying cool indoors as much as possible, especially when temperatures are in the high 90s.
- Scheduling outdoor activities carefully and limiting it to when it’s coolest, like morning or evening hours.
- Pacing yourself and taking frequent breaks if working outdoors.
- Drinking plenty of fluids regardless of how active you are; and staying away from very sugary and alcoholic drinks.
- Checking for children or pets before exiting cars, as vehicles could heat up to dangerous temperatures even with windows cracked open.
- Checking on the elderly or those with special needs who may be more susceptible to the heat and other family members, friends or neighbors who do not have access to air conditioning or may be affected by the heat.
- Checking on outdoor pets and animals to ensure they have access to shaded areas, have access to water and are not impacted by the heat.
As the summer months continue, citizens are encouraged to stay informed of the latest weather advisories and to sign up for alerts by following the official City emergency communication outlets: Twitter – @MissouriCityEM | Website – www.MissouriCityReady.com.
For more information about Missouri City, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T U-verse) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple app store.)