According to the National Weather Service, the depression in the Gulf has now strengthened to Tropical Storm Imelda. The storm moved inland this afternoon with main threats of heavy rainfall and flash flooding through Thursday, Sept. 19.
A Flash Flood Watch has been in effect for the region since 1 p.m. today and will continue until 1 p.m. tomorrow (Wednesday, Sept. 18). Residents are encouraged to sign up for emergency alerts on www.MissouriCityReady.com and Twitter—@MissouriCityEM.
Additionally, citizens are urged to keep the streets clear of trash cans, vehicles or any loose debris to allow safe passage for our Public Safety and Public Works vehicles and to keep the drainage system clean and to protect your property.
With additional heavy rain expected overnight, street flooding is possible. Residents are advised to take precautions if necessary and monitor local weather reports before morning commutes. Avoid traveling through flooded areas, and remember: Turn Around, Don’t Drown.
City staff is closely watching this storm and the Emergency Operations Center is at Level 3 (increased readiness). Crews are also monitoring all roadway conditions, and If there are areas of concern in your community, please call 281.403.8700. Officials also stress the importance of keeping a list of informational resources for reference. Recommendations for City residents include:
- Police and Fire Departments: 911 or 281.403.8700
- CenterPoint Energy: 713.207.2222
- American Red Cross – Fort Bend County Branch: 281.342.9480, Greater Houston Branch: 713.526.8300
- Ready Harris (readyharris.org); 713.881.3100; the Harris County Office of Emergency Management’s official website.
- Enable Fort Bend (enablefortbend.com); 281.238.3514; the agency assists individuals with functional and medical needs during an emergency or disaster.
- MCTV: Comcast Ch. 16; AT&T U-verse Ch. 99
- WQMN – 1690 AM: Emergency advisory radio station
- MCTX Mobile App: Download it in the Apple App store or on Google Play
For updates, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T U-verse) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple App store).