The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood watch for a portion of Southeast Texas including Missouri City from 6 a.m. today (Wednesday, Jan.2), through noon tomorrow (Thursday, Jan. 3). Rainfall totals of one to three inches with locally higher amounts are expected in and around the region.
Due to the recent rains much of the area remains nearly saturated and numerous area rivers remain elevated. This additional rain could contribute to rapid rises on area rivers, creeks and bayous including Oyster Creek.
Residents are encouraged to take precautions if necessary and monitor local weather reports before travelling around the area and sign up for emergency alerts on www.MissouriCityReady.com and Twitter—@MissouriCityEM.
Additionally, keep the streets clear of vehicles/debris to allow safe passage for our Public Safety and Public Works vehicles, keep the drainage system clean and protect your vehicle. Avoid traveling through flooded areas, and remember: Turn Around, Don’t Drown.
City staff is monitoring all roadway conditions, if there are areas of concern in your community, please call 281.403.8700. Officials also stress the importance of keeping a list of informational resources for reference. Recommendations for City residents include:
- Police and Fire Departments: 911 or 281.403.8700
- CenterPoint Energy: 713.207.2222
- American Red Cross – Fort Bend County Branch: 281.342.9480, Greater Houston Branch: 713.526.8300
- Ready Harris (www.readyharris.org); 713.881.3100; the Harris County Office of Emergency Management’s official website.
- Enable Fort Bend (www.enablefortbend.com); 281.238.3514; the agency assists individuals with functional and medical needs during an emergency or disaster.
- MCTV: Comcast Ch. 16; AT&T U-verse Ch. 99
- WQMN – 1690 AM: Emergency advisory radio station
- MCTX Mobile App: Download it in the Apple App store or on Google Play
For updates, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T U-verse) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple app store).