Emergency Supply Kit - Dogs
Courtesy of Red Rover: Bring Animals from Crisis to Care
The following items are recommended for inclusion in an emergency supply kit specifically for dogs. Prepare one disaster supply kit for each dog in your household.
Food & Water
- A one-week supply of the food your dog is accustomed to eating. Store food in an airtight, waterproof container and rotate every three months to ensure freshness. If your dog eats canned food, buy cans small enough for one feeding since you may not be able to refrigerate leftovers. Include a can opener or buy pop-top cans.
- A one-week supply of water, stored in a cool, dark location. Rotate occasionally to ensure freshness. If tap water is not suitable for humans to drink during a disaster, it is also not suitable for animals to drink.
- Bowls for food and water. Collapsible bowls are easy to store and save space.
Cleaning & Sanitation
Pooper scooper, plastic bags, or other means of disposing of your dog's waste.
Liquid soap for washing food and water bowls, paper towels, and disinfectant for cleaning crates and carriers.
Housing & Transportation
- A plastic airline crate or wire collapsible crate is helpful during an evacuation and afterward, especially if you will be staying in a hotel that requires pets to be confined while you are out.
- The crate should be large enough for your dog to lie down comfortably and allow room for a food and water dish.
- An extra leash, preferably at least six feet long.
- Temporary identification tag that you can write your temporary location on in case your dog is separated from you.
- Current pictures of your dog in case he or she gets lost and you need to create posters.
- Pictures of you with your dog to prove ownership if you are separated.
Health & Safety
- A two-week supply of any medications your dog is taking.
- Medical records, including vaccination records.
- First aid kit:
- Absorbent Gauze Pads (4 Inches by 4 Inches)
- Absorbent Gauze Roll (3 Inches by 1 Yard)
- Antiseptic Wipes (1 Package)
- Conforming Bandage (3 Inches by 5 Inches)
- Cotton Tipped Applicators (1 Small Box)
- Emollient Cream (1 Container)
- First Aid Book for Dogs
- Instant Cold Pack
- Latex Disposable Gloves (Several Pairs)
- Proper Fitting Muzzle
- Tweezers and Scissors