Emergency Supply Kit - Cats
Courtesy of Red Rover: Bring Animals from Crisis to Care
The following items are recommended for inclusion in an emergency supply kit specifically for cats. Prepare one kit for each cat in your household.
Food & Water
- A one-week supply of the food your cat is accustomed to eating. Store food in an airtight, waterproof container and rotate every three months to ensure freshness.
- If your cat eats canned food, buy cans small enough for one feeding since you may not be able to refrigerate leftovers. Include a can opener or buy pop-top cans. A one-week supply of water, stored in a cool, dark location. Rotate occasionally to ensure freshness. If tap water is not suitable for humans to drink during a disaster, it is also not suitable for cats to drink.
- Bowls for food and water. Collapsible bowls are easy to store and save space.
Cleaning & Sanitation
- A small litter box, litter scoop, one-week supply of cat litter and plastic bags for disposing of your cat's waste.
- Liquid soap for washing food and water bowls, paper towels, and disinfectant for cleaning crates and carriers.
Housing & Transportation
- Harness and leash in case you have to keep your cat confined in a cage for an extended period of time and need a secure way to remove him from the cage for exercise.
- A collapsible wire cage to transport your cat or house him at a friend's home or hotel while evacuated. The cage should be large enough to accommodate food and water dishes and a litter box.
- Toys, if your cat likes them, for entertainment and comfort. EvacSaks are foldable and easy to store.
- Temporary identification tag that you can write your temporary location on in case your cat is separated from you.
- Current pictures of your cat in case he or she gets lost and you need to create posters.
- Pictures of you with your cat to prove ownership if you are separated.
Health & Safety
- A two-week supply of any medication your cat is taking.
- Medical records, including vaccination records.
- First aid kit:
- Absorbent Gauze Pad (3 Inches by 1 Yard)
- Absorbent Gauze Pads (4 Inches by 4 Inches)
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Conforming Bandage (3 Inches by 5 Inches)
- Emollient Cream
- First Aid Book for Cats
- Instant Cold Pack
- Latex Disposable Gloves (Several Pairs)
- Q-Tips (1 Box)
- Tweezers and Scissors