- Be Ready
- Fort Bend County - Pass Through County
Fort Bend County - Pass Through County
Fort Bend County is a pass-through county for evacuations. State Highway 6, U.S. Highway 59, and U.S. Highway 90A are designated as hurricane evacuation routes and these routes affect Missouri City in both geographic areas of Fort Bend and Harris Counties.
What Happens During an Evacuation
During an evacuation, coastal residents from Galveston and Brazoria Counties will travel through Fort Bend and Harris Counties. Missouri City residents are urged to avoid major roadways during a period of evacuation. Many intersections will be blocked and lights will be set to allow traffic to move away from the coast. The Texas Department of Transportation will “contra-flow” many highways to handle the increase in traffic moving inland. The state plan also calls for additional fuel, water, and food to be made available along evacuation routes.
There may be conditions under which you will decide to get away, or there may be situations when you are ordered to leave. Plan how you will assemble your family and anticipate where you will go. Where it is not contrary to instructions from local authorities, choose several destinations in different directions so you have options in an emergency.
Evacuation Plan Tips
- Plan places where your family will meet, both within and outside of your immediate neighborhood.
- If you have a car, keep a half tank of gas in it at all times in case you need to evacuate.
- Become familiar with alternate routes and other means of transportation out of your area.
- If you do not have a car, plan how you will leave if you have to.
- Take your emergency supply kit unless you believe it has been somehow contaminated.
- Lock the door behind you.
- Take your pets with you, but understand that only service animals may be permitted in public shelters.
- Plan how you will care for your pets in an emergency.
Evacuation for Access and Functional Needs
If you have special needs requiring transportation assistance, register with Enable Fort Bend. You may also call Fort Bend Health and Human Services at 281-238-3233. Registration must be made in advance during the year before a storm is in the Gulf or any other emergency occurs.